In the last chapter, we discussed the sustainable packaging market trend, especially in the United States and Canada where demands are significantly increasing. Consumer behavior has changed, and the new generation is ready to pay extra for some more sustainable products, as evidenced by the statistics on US imports of paper food packaging.
Packaging design trend of 2023
1. Using recyclable, compostable, and lightweight materials to reduce the amount of resources and production energy used, for example, compostable boxes/labels or labels printed on both sides.
2. Reducing the size of packaging is intended to reduce the use of consumables and product spoilage in order to maximize resource efficiency.
3. Design for reusability: Reusing will assist consumers who care about the environment in feeling less guilty about the packaging waste they generate while shopping. The recycled materials can be upgraded or remanufactured when the customer returns the used packaging. It also saves money because this type of packaging can be reused numerous times; however, businesses can also incentivize consumers with recharge programs or reduce the price when the packaging is returned.
4. Biodegradable packaging: Using materials derived from natural organisms such as plants, fruits, and algae. The utilization of these materials reduces the use of chemicals, biofuels, and plastics that will have an impact environment. Bio-based packaging is very appealing to consumers because it is made from renewable resources that can be renewed through natural circulation.
5. Washable label: Consumers can recycle the packaging without having to disassemble it. Using inks and bio-based adhesives for easy-to-remove labels will make PET and other plastic containers easier to clean and recycle. One of the hottest trends in packaging labeling for 2023 is washable labels. It makes use of environmentally friendly soy and vegetable inks.
6. Bringing materials from post-consumer waste or post-consumer recycled materials to be processed in order to expand applications such as discarded plastic waste collected from coastal areas, the use of polyethylene containers is recycled back into PET. Telling the story and explaining where the materials come from will encourage customers to purchase more products. It is because consumers believe they can contribute to environmental protection.
Analysis of the opportunities for Thai products.
Strengths of Thai products
1. Because Thai food products are of high quality, the importer believes Thai product packaging is of high quality as well.
2. Thailand has an advantage over competitors due to the variety of materials used in the production of sustainable packaging.
3. A wide range of packaging designs and types creates opportunities to reach a diverse range of target customers.
Weakness of Thai products
1. Products are overpriced in comparison to competitors. As a result, Thai products should benefit from increased penetration of high-end premium markets such as supermarkets and high-end restaurants.
2. Thailand’s sustainable packaging products do not have clear advantages over competitors. The quality of the materials used or the advantages of products that differ from competitors should help Thai products become more appealing.
3. It is difficult to find a list of Thai manufacturers who specialize in sustainable packaging. The Department of International Trade Promotion should organize and compile a list of manufacturers, as well as create an E-catalog for public relations purposes.
Opportunities for Thai products
1. There is a high demand for products in this category in the United States. As a result, it appears that Thailand has an opportunity to introduce products into the market.
2. Most importers look for alternative sources. Thai products are likely to have more opportunities to penetrate the market beyond China.
3. Differentiated design development from competitors should give Thai products an advantage.
Disadvantages of Thai products compared to competitors
High-volume producers are still tough to reach. The ability to compete in the US market may still be limited by competitors from other nations that have stronger high-level output.